Assignment 1: Annotated Bibliography
Due Week 4 and worth 130 points
Choose a topic that interests you about an aspect of sociology. It can be about a specific culture, social issue, social theory, or a social trend. Locate ten (10) credible social research articles about your topic of interest.
Part I: Annotated Bibliography: Create an annotated bibliography of ten (10) articles from credible sources, as defined by the textbook. (Note: Credible sources are those that have been fact checked or peer reviewed. An annotated bibliography includes a reference to the article and a four to six (4-6) sentence description about the article. At least two (2) of these articles must be quantitative or qualitative research studies.)
- Provide ten (10) credible sources. (Credible sources are those that have been fact checked or peer reviewed.)
- Provide a thorough annotation for each source. (Thorough means four (4) to six (6) sentence summation of the entire article, not just focusing on one element of the article; has no direct quotations from the author(s).
- Include sources that are relevant to your topic. (Relevancy means there is a clear and direct link of each article to the research topic.)
- Include articles that represent a well-rounded representation of the research topic. (Well-rounded means focusing on multiple parts of the research topic; involves time spans that are relative to the research topic; and topics are from a variety of sources, authors, and dates.)
- Include two (2) of the ten (10) articles that are qualitative and / or quantitative research studies.
- Use correct APA citations for all references. (Partial credit will be given if citations are close within one (1) or two (2) errors. No credit will be given if the citation has more than three (3) errors.)
Part II: Description of the Process: Write a two to three (2-3) page paper covering the following topics:
- Describe the process you took to conduct the research.
- Discuss how you determined what sources to use.
- Describe the next steps to take to make the annotated bibliography a functioning literature review.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Typed, double-spaced, Times New Roman font (size 12), one-inch margins on all sides, APA format.
- Number each article, followed by the article referenced in APA format. The article description should start on a fresh line after the reference.
- Answer Questions 2 through 4, starting on a different page from your annotated bibliography.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are as follows:
- Analyze the elements of a literature review.
- Analyze measurement and sampling methodologies.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in social research.
- Write clearly and concisely about social research using proper writing mechanics.
Faculty Note: Inform students on how to submit their assignment. This is a standardized assignment and cannot be changed. Remind the students that their work will be graded using the rubric, therefore they should review the rubric and their report before submitting the assignment.