Assignment 3: Part 2 – The Challenges and Benefits to the Proposal
Due Week 8 and worth 140 points
Write this part as an investigative reporter for a major publication (magazine or newspaper) who has been assigned to research important issues (ethnic, racial, or gender) that are causing problems and affecting people in a local area, workplace, or a specific part of the world. Your goal will be to provide both an in-depth analysis and put a human face on this issue and the associated problems by writing a series of articles that the editor plans to publish in two (2) major parts. Assignment 3, or Part 2 of your investigative report, will focus on the benefits and challenges of the proposed change(s) as well as responses to the challenges.
(Note: Remember that Part 2 will include revisions to Part 1. Assignment 4 will require you to provide a summary in a PowerPoint presentation for a meeting of the National Association of Journalists.)
Write a three to four (3-4) page (or 750 to 1,100 words approximately 275 words per page) paper in which you:
- Revise Part I based on your professor’s feedback. (Submit Part 1 with Part 2. Part I is not counted in page length for this assignment.)
- Analyze two to three (2-3) likely challenges (economic, social, political, legal, etc.) to achieving the proposed change(s).
- Provide a logical response to each of the challenges.
- Analyze two to three (2-3) possible benefits (economic, social, political, legal, etc.) that could be realized following the proposed change(s).
- Provide a summary of the articles you have written that includes a quote, question, and / or statistic, along with a call for readers to respond by taking some specific action.
- Include five to seven (5-7) credible and reliable references in addition to the textbook. (Three sources can be the same as the ones used in Part 1. The others must be new sources.)
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA. The assignment must be submitted as a Microsoft Word document. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The Part 1, the cover page, and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- Title this section Part 2 – The Challenges and Benefits to the Proposal.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze various domestic and global issues surrounding changes to ethnic diversity, gender equality, global expansion, nationalism, or political conflict.
- Explain the basic concepts and terms involved in the sociological study of race and ethnic relations.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in sociology of class, gender, ethnicity, and race.
- Write clearly and concisely about sociology of class, gender, ethnicity, and race using proper writing mechanics.
Note: Depending on the student’s selection of topic, the outcome measured might include one of the following:
- Describe the history and current status of ethnic stratification in the U.S.
- Analyze the sociological and psychological rationale for theories of racism and prejudice.
- Analyze variables involved in assimilation, pluralism, and the typology of multiethnic societies.
- Examine various social, political, and economic factors pertaining to immigration that influenced the development of an American ethnic hierarchy.
- Analyze key issues related to gender.
- Analyze issues surrounding the history, dynamics, and status of specific U.S. ethnic groups, such as Native, Hispanic / Latino, Asian, White Ethnic, Arab, and / or Jewish Americans.