CIS 499 Project Deliverable 3: Database and Data Warehousing Design Strayer University
Due Week 5 and worth 110 points
This assignment consists of two (2) sections: a design document and a revised project plan. You must submit both sections as separate files for the completion of this assignment. Label each file name according to the section of the assignment it is written for. Additionally, you may create and / or assume all necessary assumptions needed for the completion of this assignment.
The use of specific software has been suggested however equivalents including but not limited to OpenOffice, Dia, and Open Project are also permitted. If equivalent tools are used, files must be saved and submitted for grading using extensions that are readable by their equivalent Microsoft Windows edition. Assignment submissions that fail to follow this request may result in a reduced grade.
One of the main functions of any business is to be able to use data to leverage a strategic competitive advantage. This feat hinges upon a company’s ability to transform data into quality information. The use of relational databases is a necessity for contemporary organizations; however, data warehousing has become a strategic priority due to the enormous amounts of data that must be analyzed along with the varying sources from which data comes. Since you are now the CIO of a data-collection company which gathers data by using Web analytics and operational systems, you must design a solution overview that incorporates data warehousing. The executive team needs to be clear about what data warehousing can provide the company.
Section 1: Design Document
- Write a four to six (4-6) page design document in which you:
- Support the need for data warehousing within your company and elaborate on the best practices that the company will adhere to.
- Create a schema that supports the company’s business and processes. Explain and support the database schema with relevant arguments that support the rationale for the structure. Note: The minimum requirement for the schema should entail the tables, fields, relationships, views, and indexes.
- Create an Entity-Relationship (E-R) Diagram relating the tables of your database schema through the use of graphical tools in Microsoft Visio or an open source alternative such as Dia. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length but must be included in the design document appendix. Explain your rationale behind the design of your E-R Diagram.
- Create a Data Flow Diagram (DFD) relating the tables of your database schema through the use of graphical tools in Microsoft Visio or an open source alternative such as Dia. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length but must be included in the design document appendix.
- Illustrate the flow of data including both inputs and outputs for the use of a data warehouse. The diagram must map data between source systems, data warehouses and specified data marts. The diagram should map data between source systems, data warehouses, and specified data marts. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
Section 1 of your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- Include charts or diagrams created in MS Visio or Dia as an appendix of the design document. All references to these diagrams must be included in the body of the design document.
Section 2: Revised Project Plan
Use Microsoft Project to:
- Update the project plan from Project Deliverable 2: Business Requirements, with three to five (3-5) new project tasks each consisting of five to ten (5-10) sub-tasks.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Summarize how information systems represent a key source of competitive advantage for organizations.
- Develop information systems-related activities to maximize the business value within and outside the organization.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in information systems.
- Write clearly and concisely about strategic issues and practices in the information systems domain using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
CIS 499 Project Deliverable 3 Strayer University, CIS 499, CIS, CIS 499 Entire Course, CIS 499 Entire Class, CIS 499 Complete Course, CIS 499 Complete Class