CIS 429 Term Paper Data Warehouse Project Plan Strayer University
Due Week 10 and worth 200 points
Imagine that the CIO has been impressed with your past performance and has promoted you to database administrator. Your first project is to create a data warehouse project plan that will merge five (5) disparate operational data sources into a common warehouse and associated data marts. The project plan will address the technical design for the future implementation of the data warehouse. Your company has realized that there is a great amount of data within the company’s disparate data sources and a data warehouse with a robust interface is needed to provide quality information. You approach the project plan with the understanding that a data warehouse is a system that:
- Gathers data from three (3) internal organizational systems and two (2) external sources.
- Combines the data into one database.
- Manipulates and conforms it to common and organizational standards.
- Restructures it for easy exploration, reporting, and data mining.
Using your knowledge of requirements gatherings, architectural framework, the ETL system, and testing methodologies for data warehouse projects, develop a project plan which details the implementation concepts and strategy that will lead to a successfully deployed data warehouse.
Write a twelve to fifteen (12-15) page paper in which you:
- Write a problem statement to include an introduction of the company and the factors that have lead to the need for a data warehouse.
- Construct a requirements document that details the business user and technical requirements.
- Use Excel, Visio, MS Project, or one of their equivalents such as Open Project, Dia, or OpenOffice to complete the following. Note: The graphically depicted solution may not exceed five (5) pages toward the required page length. Ensure that each depiction has a written explanation that explains the illustration.
- Construct the business and technical metadata that would be necessary for the data warehouse.
- Create a schema for the data warehouse.
- Construct the necessary fact table(s) and dimensional table(s).
- Illustrate the flow of data including both inputs and outputs for the data warehouse.
- Recommend and justify a business intelligence (BI) solution; then, depict the probable dashboard needed by expert users.
- Use at least five (5) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- Include charts or diagrams created in Excel, Visio, MS Project, or one of their equivalents such as Open Project, Dia, and OpenOffice. The completed diagrams/charts must be imported into the Word document before the paper is submitted.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Develop a data warehousing solution to solve a proposed business problem.
- Use graphic software to Illustrate and apply the use of dimensional modeling to address and solve a proposed business problem.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in data warehousing.
Write clearly and concisely about topics related to data warehouse planning using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
CIS 429 Term Paper Data Warehouse Project Plan Strayer University, CIS 429, CIS, CIS 429 Entire Course, CIS 429 Entire Class, CIS 429 Complete Course, CIS 429 Complete Class