CIS 429 Assignment 3 The Importance of Metadata Strayer University.
Due Week 4 and worth 100 points
This assignment contains two (2) sections: Written Report and PowerPoint Presentation. You must submit both sections for the completion of this assignment.
Section 1: Written Report
Imagine that the CIO comes to you with a frustrated look on his face. He has realized that metadata is a key foundational piece of a data warehouse. He asks you to write a report that emphasis the importance of metadata, the types of metadata, and the impact of metadata on the ETL process. He shows you an article that states that faulty metadata will lead to poor information from the data warehouse. The executive team is eager to move forward but the risk of faulty metadata is making the CIO apprehensive. He reiterates that the report will be used to explain metadata to the company’s management team. He reminds you that the team comprises of technical and nontechnical stakeholders. In your report, you must show why metadata is a major building block for a data warehouse and how it impacts ETL.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- List and explain three (3) differences between data dictionaries used in database management systems and metadata that is used in data warehousing.
- Identify three (3) primary reasons why metadata are important in a data warehouse.
- List three (3) significant differences between business and technical metadata. Explain why each difference is relevant.
- Identify and explain three (3) significant points that show the impact of metadata on the ETL process. Be sure to state where in the ETL process the impact would occur.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
Section 2: PowerPoint Presentation
In addition to the report, the CIO asks you to create a PowerPoint that can be used to illustrate the concepts from your report to the company’s management team.
Create a ten (10) slide PowerPoint presentation in which you:
- Illustrate the concepts from your written report in Section 1 of this assignment.
- Create bulleted speaking notes for the CIO’s reference in the notes section of the PowerPoint. Note: You may create or assume any fictitious names, data, or scenarios that have not been established in this assignment for a realistic flow of communication.
- Use a professional style to graphically convey the information.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Describe the significance, use, and types of meta-data and meta-modeling.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in data warehousing.
Write clearly and concisely about topics related to data warehouse planning using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
CIS 429 Assignment 3 The Importance of Metadata Strayer University, CIS 429, CIS, CIS 429 Entire Course, CIS 429 Entire Class, CIS 429 Complete Course, CIS 429 Complete Class